The day and time is seared into my mind. I was parked 2 blocks from Venice Beach, CA, hanging out on the beach, surfing, and working a few hours per week. Life was good – relaxing and enjoyable but I was itching for something else, something bigger than simply having fun. I was listening to Ari Meisel’s Leverage Podcast and that is when I heard, The Land Geek, Mark Podolsky being interviewed.
I knew with 5 minutes of listening to him describe his business that it was going to be my next venture. I am ambitiously lazy – meaning that I hate to do repetitive tasks – and this business fit that ‘process-driven’ model perfectly.
However, I had a few requirements that my next business had to meet:
- It had to be automated and require very little input from me (which meant that I could work from anywhere and be location independent)
- It had to not require hiring employees (virtual assistants and contractors were OK)
- It had to create passive, recurring income every month
Mark’s ‘land investing’ business fit all of the criteria so the next month, I bought his Land Investors Toolkit online. I then attended his free bootcamp a few months later (however I didn’t purchase coaching from Mark).
I dove into land investing full-time in July 2016. Since then, I have purchased 14 parcels and 9 sold of them (a few for cash but most are financed).
My monthly recurring income for the next 8 years (revenue coming in from financing the sale of a property) is $1200 currently and growing.
The benefits of buying land versus houses:
- No need to protect it
- The land lasts forever
- There is no upkeep and is headache free
- Consistent, passive income from owner financing a sale
- Huge margins (+300% rate of return)
- Simple to operate business
- Very low risk business if properties are purchased at the right price
- No tenants, no termites, and no toilets.
In hindsight, I would have purchased The Land Geek coaching – it would have jumpstarted my business and I would have been profitable much sooner than I was… but I’m a do-it-yourselfer at heart and I struggled through the ups and downs early on investing in land.
- The Land Investors Toolkit
- Attend The Land Geek Bootcamp
- The Land Geek Coaching
- Mark’s ‘Art of Passive Income’ Podcast
I bet you are thinking – why is he sharing this gold mine with me? The reason that I am more than willing to share is because there are more than 3000 counties in the US with 1.9 billions acres of land (in the lower 48 states). There is MORE than enough land to be bought and sold in America!
I will answer any questions in the comments.